6,532 Uses for Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil

OK the title might be a slight exaggeration, but who wants to read, “Coconut Oil is good for lots of stuff.”  I LOVE the Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil in the glass jar.  I can buy it at my regular grocery store.  No special trips needed!

Coconut OilCoconut Oil is sort of a misnomer.   It’s called oil, but really it comes in solid form.  It isn’t very easy to slather it on when you can’t get it out of the jar.  So when you want to use it you need to warm it up!  So here’s whatcha do.  You go to your local thrift store and you buy one of these candle warmer uppers.  Yes that is what they are called.  Make sure you only pay a few dollars for it because they are only about $6.00 retail.  Why thrift it?  Because they are always there and why not extend the life of something and keep it out of the landfill!  Plug it in and make sure it works.

Coconut Oil

Place your GLASS jar on the candle warmer and remove the lid.  Start it before you start to get ready and give it about 20 minutes.  Don’t leave it too long, and make sure you keep your eye on it!    It will be warm enough to pour into your hand.  Perfect!!  It doesn’t get too hot to handle.  ****If you have children or pets Please be careful!  It isn’t hot enough to burn you, but better safe than sorry!!

Now you could pour it into the bath.

Use it as lotion for dry skin.

Use warmed up coconut oil right after a bath, make sure to use liberally and then put on cotton socks for really soft and pretty feet.

Put it on your lips to shine them up.

Use it as a leave in conditioner, pour a tiny bit into your hand and use it on the bottom half of your hair.  Comb it through.  Dry as usual.

Overnight conditioner.  Use a palm-ful on your dry hair overnight.  Wash and rinse in the morning as usual.

Use 2 tablespoons of warmed up oil as a conditioner.  Leave it on your hair for about 20 minutes wrapped in a towel.  Better yet, put some saran wrap over your hair and then a towel over that.  Great conditioner.  Make sure to rinse with warm water.

Combine liquid coconut oil and a  tsp of baking soda to use as a mild scrub on your face and body.

Use coconut oil and baking soda scrub on the bumps on the backs of your arms.  Rinse and finish with more warmed up oil.  Try this every night after your shower to see the little bumps disappear!

I use it to remove my eye makeup.  I apply a tiny bit to a cotton ball and rest it on my lashes for a few seconds and then rinse with warm water.

Apply to a clean eyelash brush to condition your lashes overnight.

Use a tiny bit to tame eyebrows.  (If you have crazy ones like I do.)

static

My favorite use for Spectrum Coconut Oil is to smooth out the static in this dry climate!  Use a teeny tiny bit to smooth and shine up your hair.  I use it everyday to shine up my dull hair during the winter months.

Warning:  If you use too much it will make your hair look greasy.  Not cute.

I owe you six thousand and something more tips.  I will come up with some new ones.

Oh my dad’s fishing buddies eat a tablespoon everyday.  So there’s that.

Comments

• Ann June 26, 2015 at 03:56pm

I have a couple of questions..for the deodorant, do you keep it in a jar? How is it applied? Also, some people have mentioned oil pulling. What exactly is oil pulling?? I’ve never heard of it. Thanks!

• Lynda Freeman March 31, 2015 at 10:02pm

I have only been using coconut oil since l went to Melbourne 2 weeks ago .l read about how good it can be for you….Can you keep melting the oil ?
    Dose it go back to its normal solid state.
    It has only been a short time and l must say l had a dry patch on my chin that kept coming back ,the doctor said it was a cold sore.l wasn’t convinced ,the cream never worked it kept coming back
    So l am hoping this oil will keep it away

• Holly White February 15, 2015 at 01:47am

mix 1 part baking soda 1 part cornstarch to 2 parts coconut oil end add a couple drops of essential oils if you want and use a dab as deodorant! You will never go back to store bought!

• Wendy February 02, 2015 at 07:49pm

Great ideas! Will try some.

• Amanda January 27, 2015 at 08:25am

Love the site, and all the suggestions! I’m stumped on one thing…. When we oil pull, it says coconut oil will clog the drains really bad, so how can we use it, with out it going down the drain? (Ex, when you use it as a sugar scrub, or hair conditioners)

• thriftdee November 13, 2014 at 11:26pm

Tiffiany, Coconut Oil is considered a “good fat”. It has anti fungal and anti microbial properties! I like to warm it into liquid. Eating it solid isn’t for me!!

• tiffiany November 13, 2014 at 12:30am

Why does he eat it? What are the benefit?

• Claudia October 07, 2014 at 03:35pm

@jen the spectrum brand pictured above has no smell..they sell it in walmart.

• jen October 05, 2014 at 10:52pm

What can I do about the smell! Love the product, organic from trader Joe’s, cannot stand the smell.

• Sharon black September 07, 2014 at 03:15am

Organic coconut oil is great, cursed my fungus, cursed my daughters dog’s skin allergy which was bad and vet could not cure!! My teeth are whiter than they have ever been from doing oil pulling and it only took One week. I use it plain for a night cream. Recipe for chocolate fudge. 1 cup org. Coconut oil, 1/2 cup org. peanut butter, 1/2 cup org. Cocoa, 1/3 cup org. Maple syup, 1/2 cup nuts. Mix by hand, pour in 4×6 dish. Store in refridg. Delicious!!

• Breanna July 03, 2014 at 04:46am

Coconut oil as a cuticle removed

• Alice Moore June 06, 2014 at 02:24am

You can use it too on dogs who have allergies that are loosing their hair, just give them a tablespoon a day. You will see the difference in just a matter of a week or so depending on size of dog. Gives them a shiny coat as well…

• Kristen June 04, 2014 at 03:14am

I use it for my dreadlocks, to keep them moisturized. 🙂

• Liz May 28, 2014 at 03:30pm

Also can be used to lighten your under arms. Just mix a couple tablespoons with baking soda and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Also use coconut oil in my hair and for my skin. LOVE IT!

• Amy May 10, 2014 at 04:57am

I love coconut oil. I have a very dry scalp and have started a weekly, usually a Saturday when I’m pottering around the house, routine of doing a coconut oil treatment. I use a little squirty bottle, like a sauce bottle, add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil and melt it by sticking in a jug of warm water. Sometimes I also add about 10 drops of tea tree EO if my scalp is getting bad. The bottle makes it easy to apply to my scalp, just squirt it on in patches and massage in. I like to leave on for at least 30 mins, or a couple hours if I have time. It can take a couple washes to get out, followed by an ACV rinse. It makes my hair really soft and shiny and does wonders for my scalp. If yoyr worried aboutthe oil getting on thing, I just put a shower cap on!

• Beth April 27, 2014 at 01:42am

I take a tsp a day I promise no more backed up bowels cuz it coats intestines

• anita April 10, 2014 at 05:54am

Love this article and love coconut oil! However, I must admit that after using as a body lotion for a few weeks, it was rather odd to start eating it. I kept thinking that I’m eating body lotion.

Recently I made a body scrub out of the oil and sugar. Exfoliates and softens at the same time. Sweet!

• Christine Cook March 12, 2014 at 09:29pm

I use this same jar and I use it for oil pulling, my teeth feel so much cleaner!

• cath harrison February 21, 2014 at 06:48am

I have been using coconut oil as a conditioner for about 2 years and will never go back. I have a small container in the shower and melt it with the hot water running. I have long hair and only use about 1cm diameter rubbed into my palms and worked gently into my hair. I rince with hot water and wrap my hair when still warm to dry and remove excess. It does take a bit of trial and error to get it right but worth it

• Amanda January 24, 2014 at 02:14am

It is great for everything, being an anti-microbial agent it works really well inside the body! Yeast infections, to tame discomfort and odor during periods, lubricant, baby diaper rash, athleats foot, skin conditions and rashes, sore throats. It is amazing!

• Becky January 23, 2014 at 02:40am

Thank You, for sharing I just bought my first jar of Organic Coconut Oil can’t wait to use it. Thanks again,
    Becky Steelman

• Rachel Edwards December 06, 2013 at 04:47am

It is amazing in place of butter on bread! Many people say things like that, but when you try it it is very healthy tasting and not very good tasting. I toast a piece of Arnold’s health nut bread and put over a tablespoon of coconut oil on one slice of bread, I sprinkle it wit lots of cinnamon, to get as much of of as I can since it’s really good for you, then I pour on a little bit of honey and smear it around so that it gets to the edges. It is heaven, you should try it. Make sure to use the bread I mentioned, it’s wonderful. If you don’t like it, try with less honey, it’s really very good with just the coconut oil, I add the cinnamon and honey to try to incorporate these things into my diet, and best of all, nothing is heated to compromise any of their good properties and the bread being roasted helps to break down the gluten. Win – Win – Win!! I hope you like it! 😉

• Melissa November 26, 2013 at 05:27am

I use this exact same jar (pint canning jar for those of us who reuse canning jars)
    I made a fantastic coconut oil whipped body butter tonight and I’m now in love. I use this oil to cook with often in place of any other cooking oil (except when baking unless you want it to taste like coconut) any time I need oil to cook something on my stove top I use coconut rather than olive (the only 2 I buy)
    Its also great for dental health look up oil pulling for teeth.
    Gets rid of acne and makes an awesome exfoliating face scrub when mixed with a bit of baking soda
    My dad has a lot of health problems which lead to his legs seeping fluid and getting wicked (think alligator) dry skin. He changed some more of his diet to help with the first but the dry skin got worse, I had him start using plain coconut oil as a moisturizer on his legs every night and his legs were a thousand times better within a week!!!
    This is also a superb diaper cream! Keeps the yucky bacteria and stuff away and protects the skin, also helps clear up a rash quickly without the chemicals and if you use cloth it won’t ruin your diaper!
    To that end it also helps with and female personal dryness issues
    Sorry I know some of these are tmi but seriously it needs to be said!

• Carole November 10, 2013 at 12:04am

Organic coconut oil works.
    I used it on my scalp when I was loosing hair after my surgery.
    I give it to my pets for digestion aide to keep fungal infections away and on their food to entice them to eat when they are in a picky mood. They love it and I love it. It has to br pure organic

• Deborah Joyce November 04, 2013 at 12:28am

Coconut oil is the best thing I have done for myself. I have been using it for 10 months now and it has improved my heath in many ways. My skin isn’t dry any longer, my cholesterol has gone down from 249 to 160. My hair has a beautiful shine to it…. I eat it, drink it and slather it on every inch of me.

• Julie Heuer October 08, 2013 at 02:42am

2heaping tablespoons full has helped my significant other’s Alzheimer’s memory tremendously I recommend it for anyone over 60 who has short term memory loss

• Carissa September 21, 2013 at 01:07pm

Coconut oil aids in WEIGHTLOSS…2 tbsp a day can help fight belly fat and I also give it to my dogs…it helps protect third joints and us great for their skin especially if they have skin allergies…also my male dachshund got ringworm and coconut oil cleared that right up because it’s also an anti fungal 🙂 great stuff! Everyone in my house takes it regularly. It’s good to mix with yogurt in the morning 🙂

• Arianna July 04, 2013 at 05:24am

EAT A TBL. SPOON RIGHT OUT OF THE JAR DAILY TO HELP GET RID OF ACID REFLUX. I SUFFERD FOR A LONG TIME HAVING TO TAKE OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS. THIS WORKS EVERYTIME. I SWEAR BY IT. ITS NATUAL AND ITS GOOD FOR YOU TOO!

• Angela Ross June 17, 2013 at 01:46am

I use a coconut shampoo and conditioner and it has all but cleared up my psoriasis. I dont have to use dandruff shampoo anymore that dries out your hair. I loved it so much I now buy coconut body wash, lotion and anything else that comes in coconut. I keep the oil around for really dry patches of skin like my elbows and stuff and for cooking in. LOVE the stuff!

• Deborah June 16, 2013 at 11:01pm

I use in in box cake mix recipes in place of oil or butter it gives the cake a made from scratch texture plus it’s healthier. Actually use it any time oil is called for.

• Ronda May 07, 2013 at 04:47am

I seen the coconut oil here. Is use it in my hair and make a sugar scrub. Like this a lot

• thriftdee April 21, 2013 at 03:17pm

Alana,
    I have blonde hair and I only use the oil on the ends. You may have used a little too much or your hair is already in great condition. I think coconut oil is great for over-dry hair like mine!

• Alana April 21, 2013 at 09:35am

I’ve recently bought coconut oil after hearing how great it is. I wanted to use it on my hair to help with growth and overall healthy looking hair and what happened was not a happy result! I’ve seen many people say that you can leave it in your hair for 20 or so minutes, which I did. Then I shampooed and that was it for the night. When I woke up my hair was so oily and gross I shampooed and conditioned again, which helped a bit but the ends were still oily. I haven’t used the oil since cause I’m put off. What did I do wrong?!

• Carrie April 20, 2013 at 09:21pm

there are actually sites with TONS AND TONS of uses for coconut oil, I have been using it regularly for a while now. I have eczema, and a few patches that may potentially be psoriasis, the eczema extends up onto my scalp also. I use coconut oil on my flare ups, as a maintenance, and on my scalp, which also benefits my hair. I have read that it has antibacterial properties, and can be used in ears for aches/infection. I also use it on my nails, I believe it has helped to strengthen them.

• Rhonda April 20, 2013 at 02:48am

I love it on oatmeal….mom can’t drink milk and she loves it too. Good for an upset tummy.

• Megan Casey April 20, 2013 at 01:38am

I use it for cradle cap cure for my 2 month old son.After a bath where I made sure to soak his head with nice warm water, I use a warm wash cloth to scrub off some scales and then liquify sme co in my palm and rub into his hair/scalp.
    Also I use it as a diaper cream on sore chafed bum

• Sharon H April 10, 2013 at 11:26pm

Found this post on Pinly and repinned because it’s great! I need to put more of these suggestions in to practice. I keep a small container of this in the bathroom and scoop out a bit after washing my face at night. Just rub it between my hands to liquify, dab some on my face and lips, then slather the rest on my hands, arms and if there’s enough left, also on my feet.

Oh it also makes awesome popcorn in one of those big stircrazy poppers!

• thriftdee April 10, 2013 at 09:20pm

Thanks for the sweet comment Phylis!

• Phylis April 10, 2013 at 05:53pm

love your website

• Rachael April 02, 2013 at 07:33pm

I don’t melt mine down just manage to get some out of the car I use it on my little ones bum for a cloth diaper safe diaper rash ointment, I use it on his exzema, I use it on my hives to help with the itching. Like you said TONS of uses!

• Pam April 01, 2013 at 02:02am

For good health you should eat the equivalent of 4 T per day. I make chocolates. Mix coconut oil with powdered cocoa and the healthy sweetener put a almond into the bottom of a silicon mold (u can get them at Michaels) makes 12 at a time. Pour the mixture over the almond and chill. Yummy and an easy way to eat the daily requirement

• Katie March 25, 2013 at 10:05pm

I put coconut oil on my dogs paws to cure “frito feet” and hydrate his paw pads.

• Gail March 18, 2013 at 11:42pm

thank-you

• kristen March 05, 2013 at 08:47pm

loved this! thanks! you’re so cute, by the way!